Saturday, September 8, 2007

It is not my typical Saturday morning. When I awake there is a large open window and through it I can here the sound of conversations from the hotel courtyard three stories below. I finally feel as though I have caught up with time. Although I find that at from 5:00-9:00 PM it is drop dead sleep time for me. This morning I woke at 7:00 ready to call everybody in California! I can imagine the conversation I would meet calling somebody at 11:00 PM:

ME: Hey it Cassie, Oh my god the air is so fresh this morning in Paris
YOU: WHAT!! Huh who the hell is this? Do you have any idea what time it is? Are you drinking? Cut that wine and cheese loose, set your dammed watch and call me back at a decent time! CLICK (dial tone)
ME: Hater and Bonsoir to you too!!!

I spent most of the day in the hotel lounge killing time until the train ride to Orly Airport. The transit station is PACKED with people. Oh my goodness, so many people going to many different parts of the city. I discovered that many Parisians do not own cars because of the expense so they take the train. I could swear there were at least 50,000 people in the station. The ride to the south part of France was much different, less graffiti, better looking housing and less smelly bodies. Note to self: MAKE SURE WE NEVER RUN OUT OF SOAP, WATER AND RIGHT GUARD!

We arrive at Orly Airport only to be greeted with another surprise. As we checked in for our flight we are told that the ticket we purchased was only for people who are married! Supposedly (and you know I am launching a full-fledge investigation) the price represents a discount for those who are married and traveling from Orly Paris to Bastia. The reservation counselor says that the information is on the website under conditions (as thorough as I am I sure did not SEE that one) nor did it print out on my ticket. Well it cost an additional $122,000 Euro (about $166.00) so we paid and boarded the plane. I figured out that it was not a good time to transform into “stupid” while standing in an airport so far away from George and home. Note to self: Plan a special event for Hubby!

We finally arrive at Bastia and then we must take an hour ride by car to the town where the family lives. It is dark and not much can be seen but you can smell the freshness of the air and a hint of the trees. The roads are dark but well maintained. There are no bumps, lumps or even potholes in the long climb up the winding road to the village. About every 10 -15 miles on the road there is a well lit restaurant which leads me to believe that they are the places the residents congregate for nightly meals and entertainment.

Tonight we are staying with Marusia and Pascal and their lovely daughters Oceana, Luna and Jade. I have the pleasure of bunking up in Jades room and it is here that I realize how simply life starts out.

Comments

Popular Posts